I’ve got a degree but …..

The plan is to encourage ‘challenger’ providers to enter the higher education ‘sector’ by giving them probationary degree-awarding powers for three years from the beginning.  These may be removed.

There is also to be ‘provider exit’ for providers which fail or choose to leave.

This has obvious drawbacks for the student who is unlucky enough to choose a provider which disappears.

I’ve got a degree but the provider who awarded it has had its degree-awarding powers taken away

When I applied for a job I put my degree on my CV and the employer had not heard of the ‘provider’ where I did my course. He asked about it. I had to admit that although it had given me a degree it was not allowed to do that any longer. It had had its degree-awarding powers taken away. It could still run courses but they had to be ‘sub-degree’ courses.

Is my degree worth anything now? And if not, why should I have to pay back my enormous student loan for the next 30 years?

I’ve got a degree but the provider who awarded it has gone out of business

When I applied for a job I put my degree on my CV. The employer said he was becoming confused about higher education because there were so many places now where you could get a degree and most of them he had not heard of.

He had been told there was a Register where they were all listed. But my place did not seem to be on it. I had to admit that it had gone out of business.

Is my degree worth anything now? What employer will have heard of my ‘provider’ in a few years time? And apparently I have to pay back my enormous student loan for the next 30 years?

This entry was posted in Higher education management, Students, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.